106963661 158604802450520 1860338312898913299 n

Healthy Eating on Wheels

Healthy Eating on Wheels

3. Good Health and Well-Being 8. Decent Work and Economic Growth 10. Reduced Inequalities 12. Responsible Consumption and Production

Overview

Ms. Lopez stated that most people who would like to eat healthy foods could not do so due to the high prices of healthy food options. She sought to solve the problem by targeting the often-underserved population of young people in colleges and busy businesses' employees. She mentioned that, "Making healthy foods more accessible to this population required going to the customers hence the decision to use food trucks instead of opening a physical location and waiting for the customers to find it."

Authors

Sana Moazzam

Sana Moazzam

Monaquay Leakes

Monaquay Leakes

Anthony Spiaggia

Anthony Spiaggia

Xavier Pazmino

Xavier Pazmino

School

Fairleigh Dickinson University (FDU)

Fairleigh Dickinson University (FDU)

Professor

Aixa Ritz

Aixa Ritz

Innovation

The main innovation is its competitive sourcing and selling of healthy nutritional foods mainly in economically disadvantaged locations on the move instead of one permanent location. The company sources directly from farms. Ms. Lopez says that, "The innovation has allowed the company to control the quality of the ingredients." The innovation has also enabled the company to reduce the cost of healthy eating by reducing price increases that come with any addition of an intermediary. Supply chain integration has also made the company responsive to shifts in demand.

Healthy Eating on Wheels

Inspiration

The business was inspired by Ms. Lopez’s desire to create an affordable healthy eating option. She realized that most people who would like to eat healthy foods could not do so due to the high prices of healthy food options. Ms. Lopez sought to solve the problem by targeting the often-underserved population of young people in colleges and busy businesses’ employees.

Overall impact

According to the interviewee, the business helps in fulfilling the following sustainable goals. SDG 1- Healthy Foods on Wheels meets this goal by employing minorities, women, and reformed convicts increased access to resources that end poverty. SDG 3 - Healthy Foods on Wheels meets this goal by providing affordable healthy food that ensures there is Good Health and Well-Being in communities that need it. SDG 8 - The business provides decent work and opportunity for growth through employment and the option of part ownership.

Business benefit

Ms. Lopez believes in employment for all. The business has provided employment opportunities to include in its current workforce, reformed convicts, women, and minorities. The business contributes to the community's welfare by increasing access to healthy foods that are otherwise inaccessible to the target market. The provision of healthy foods has effectively contributed to reducing the push factors behind obesity and associated lifestyle diseases.

Social and environmental benefit

During the interview Lopez stated that, "Healthy Eating on Wheels has agreements with campuses and real estate management companies running office blocks that allow access to some locations. These agreements reduce the need for movement as it is the tradition with the food truck industry, hence reducing the direct environmental pollution. Healthy Eating on Wheels has impacted society by providing affordable healthy food, especially in a city that is keen on healthy eating."

Interview

Ella Lopez, CEO

Keep this story going! Share below!

Healthy Eating on Wheels

Healthy Eating on Wheels

US

Business Website: https://www.facebook.com/HealthMealsOnWheelsSKN/

Year Founded: 2016

Number of Employees: 11 to 50

Healthy Eating on Wheels is a mobile restaurant comprised of 10 food trucks. The business was founded in 2016 by Ella Lopez, who owns 70% of the company while employees own the remaining 30%. It prides itself on selling healthy, affordable food. Key locations where Healthy Eating on Wheels food trucks may be found include college campus grounds, office block parking lots, and designated food truck locations. Healthy Eating on Wheels has a main physical location that prepares food while the final combination of different dish components is done on the trucks.